Revealing my Spring Bouquet quilt
I’m very proud to reveal the finished version of Spring Bouquet, the enormous applique project that I worked on through the latter half of 2012 and into 2013. It’s been finished for a couple of months, but renovations meant I didn’t have a space large enough to lay it out, and take photos that would do it justice.
I can’t give enough credit to Alison, my long arm quilter. Her work is what makes this quilt as extraordinary as it is. She spent many hours, bringing the applique to life.
The motifs, like the flowers, are eclectic, with a light-hearted feel. The batting is wool, and it gives a fabulous loft. At the same time, the quilt, despite its size, is very light. If the budget allowed, I’d do all my quilts with wool!
I bound it with a dark maroon batik, which was one of the fabrics I used for the flowers. I prefer narrow bindings, and this one finishes at 1/4″.
The quilt size finishes to 74″. Each of the nine blocks is different, while the borders use the same pattern, but with varied colours.
I’ve started on my next applique project, which I am pleased to report has nowhere near as many pieces. It’s a new Kim Diehl pattern, which I hope will end up in our master bedroom. But there’s no timeline for it, so I’m going to savour my finish of Spring Bouquet and revel in getting it crossed off my to-finish list!